Thursday, December 8, 2022

Why did I stop my Netflix subscription

I was subscribed to Netflix since I was a student and I've been working over a decade, and I cancelled Netflix earlier this year in April.  What brought me into this decision? 

TL; DR: time, interest, and money.

Time

As I grew older and starting a family, I noticed that I no longer have the luxury to binge watch any new shows.  I'd be lucky to watch a 10–15-minute summary of show from YouTube.  In fact, one of my regrets at the end of 2021 was getting a PS5 and Xbox Series X, which I barely used and cancelled the monthly subscription for them. 

Interest

The shows that enjoyed watching back then were the Marvel ones (Daredevil, and Jessica Jones). Even though, I did enjoy Stranger Things, Alice in Borderland, Witcher and a few other Netflix exclusive ones, after watching a few shows on Disney+, namely Loki and Mandalorian and some Marvel Movies.  I also had Amazon Prime which came with the PrimeVideo subscription which also had a few interesting shows as well such as The Boys, and Invincible. 

Money

Originally, Netflix was an amazing deal to watch a lot of shows at an affordable price, but it's over doubled in price since I started using it because tier upgrade so that I can have it running on multiple devices and from time to time, it gets increased again, and since PrimeVideo is already included from my Amazon Prime subscription and Disney+ is cheaper with less restrictions. I could wait and perhaps only subscribe to Netflix near holiday season when I have time to watch.

Closing

Netflix was great at the beginning compared to cable TV and buying DVDs back then, but I finally moved on from it and realize instead of watching shows, I could be learning new things on YouTube and spending more time with family.


No comments:

Post a Comment